Red Solo cups have been a party staple for years. If you are having a celebration that involves alcohol, chances are, these cups will make an appearance.
While these cups are known for alcoholic beverages, many people often use them for other purposes. This has led to the question; can you microwave red Solo cups? Is it safe to do?
Today, we will answer that question in detail. We will take a detailed look at what happens when you put these plastic cups in microwave.
With that said, let’s jump right into it.
Can Red Solo Cups Go in the Microwave?
Quick Answer: No, you can’t microwave a red Solo cup. These plastic cups are not microwave-safe and not only will they melt if you try to heat them up, but they can also release harmful chemicals into your food.
Let us take a more detailed look at what happens when you put these plastic cups in the microwave.
What Happens When Red Solo Cups Are Microwaved?
Red Solo cups are made of polystyrene, which is a type of plastic. This material is not microwave-safe and there are two main things that can happen when it is exposed to high temperatures.
The Plastic Cups Can Melt
The first thing that can happen is that the cup can melt. This is because polystyrene has a low melting point.
When microwaved, the polystyrene will start to soften and then eventually melt. The cup will become distorted, deformed and the liquid or food inside will start to leak out.
If you need a bit more convincing, here are a couple people on Twitter who found out the hard way why you should not microwave red solo cups.
The Release of Harmful Chemicals Can Occur
When disposable cups are heated in the microwave, they can release harmful chemicals.
An Insider.com article highlighted why it is not good good to microwave polystyrene. They explained that that Microwaving speeds up the chemical leaching process. “Heat can generate more free chemical building blocks, and it also accelerates their movement out of the plastic and into the food,”.
Imagine warming up some ramen noodles and having chemicals leach into your food. This is obviously not something that you want and ingesting chemicals can cause a variety of health problems.
What You Should Do Instead of Microwaving a Plastic Solo Cup?
If you want to reheat something that is in a Red Solo cup, there are much safer ways to do so.
One way is to simply transfer the contents of the cup into a microwavable-safe container. This will allow you to reheat the food or drink without having to worry about the harmful chemicals being released.
If you want to heat up liquids like coffee or tea, another option is to pour the contents in a pot and reheat it on the stove. This is a much safer option and it will only take a few minutes.
Once heated, you can pour the liquid into a mug or another heat-safe cup.
Wrapping it up
In conclusion, Red Solo cups should never be microwaved. These plastic cups are not microwave safe and they can not only melt easily, but when heated, they can also release harmful chemicals into your food.
If you need to reheat something that is in a Red Solo cup, there are much safer ways to do so.