Best Way to Clean a PS4 Controller
The good thing is, I will give you a step-by-step process as to the best methods to not only clean the PS4 controller, but also the best ways to make sure that you do not end up with sticky buttons or analog sticks.
If you are up to date with your cleaning, all you really need to do is wipe off your PS4 controller with a lint free cloth. This should be able to clean off a lot of the grime and dirt with ease. If you do it religiously after playing, you really would not have to worry about the steps below, as that is for people who have massively dirty controllers.
Getting Rid of the Dirt: What You Are Going to Need
Everything that you are going to need to clean your PS4 controller are all easy to find and pretty inexpensive. You really do not need to spend a lot of money to get this job done.
Things you will need
- Cotton swabs
- Balls of cotton
- Toothpicks or an old business card
- Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)
1. Clean Sticky Buttons on Your PS4 Controller
It is recommended that you start with your buttons first, just because they generally will have the most dirt and grime on them and you just want to get everything out, before you do a total cleaning up the entire controller. Also, if you happen to be dealing with buttons that stick, that generally is a result of dirt buildup after hours of play.
- Take the toothpick or business card and what you are going to want to do is go around each and every button on the controller and try to remove as much dirt from under and around the buttons as possible. Try your best to dislodge as much dirt and grime that you can see.
- You should take extra precaution when going under the buttons, as you do not want to damage the mechanisms underneath.
- Okay once you feel that you have removed all the dirt buildup from around the buttons, the next step is to take off all the grease and grime. Get a cotton swab and dampen it with some alcohol.
- You are then going to just go around the buttons and just make sure everything is super clean.
Clean Your PS4 Controller Analog Sticks
So now that you have finished cleaning the buttons, the next step with dealing with the PS4 controller, is to clean the analog sticks. This is a very quick process and you really won’t need to spend a lot of time doing this.
- Once again, you are going to take the toothpick or business card and you are going to go into all the cracks and crevices, removing as much dirt and grime as possible.
- Once you finish that, all you really need to do is take the cotton swab, dampen it with alcohol and just clean the stakes thoroughly.
- You should really take the time to ensure that you fully clean the sticks, making sure that you get rid of all the dirt and grime that might have built up.
Final Step is Clean the PS4 Controller Itself
The last thing that you are going to need to do is really take the time to do a thorough cleaning of the entire controller. You have already tackled the buttons and analog stick, so it is just to get the dirt and grease from the many different crevices and joints that can be found on the controller.
- Take the toothpick and business card and go around the different crevices on the controller, removing as much dirt as possible.
- After you have done that, you just need to take the cotton swab again with some alcohol and just give the entire controller a proper cleaning.
- You can repeat the process again, just to ensure that you have gotten everything and nothing is left behind.
- And that is it, brand new controller, ready to game.
I am pretty sure some of you may be surprised at how much gunk had built up on the controller and seeing that can be pretty disgusting. To ensure that your PS4 controller is always performing at its ultimate best, try and clean it on a regular basis. Cleaning only takes a couple of minutes and the good thing is when done, you will not have to worry about sticky buttons or your analog sticks getting stuck.