Can You Freeze Bread Crumbs? We Show You How!
Can you freeze breadcrumbs? If you landed on this page, I am pretty sure that you would love to find out the right way to go about storing your breadcrumbs in the freezer. Well, it is very possible for you to freeze this item and if stored properly, you can expect to keep it for a couple of months with no problems.
Why it’s a Good Idea to Freeze Them
It is a good idea to freeze bread crumbs, as you won’t have to worry about buying them in the store, it is pretty easy to do and you can store them for months. Having the bread crumbs in the freezer not only saves you time, but also money.
The Step by Step Process
When it comes to freezing breadcrumbs, the process is actually pretty easy and I am going to show you in the step-by-step guide below.
- The first thing you want to do is select the type of bread that you are going to use for your breadcrumbs. It really is a preference at this point, some people opt for white bread, while others will go the healthier route and choose whole-wheat. The type of bread that you use can also be determined by the type of recipe, so you should also keep that in mind.
- Once you have your slices of bread, you can grate them by hand. That is a more involved process and you will often find that people make their breadcrumbs using the food processor.
- Once everything has been processed, you can now place it in a freezer storage bag.
- Before you seal the bag, try and squeeze out as much air as possible.
- It is also a good idea to label the freezer bag, just so that you know the data when it first went in. Properly packaged breadcrumbs can be stored in the freezer for up to six months.
When you need to use your frozen breadcrumbs, you are going to need to thaw them out. The process is actually pretty easy and it is not very involved.
The best way to go about doing this is taking the freezer bag with the breadcrumbs and just letting it sit inside the refrigerator overnight. It is going to take a couple of hours for it to fully defrost, but after that it should be good to go.
You could also let it sit at room temperature until fully defrosted. This is the option to use if you plan on using the bread crumbs immediately.