Can You Reheat Dumplings?
How do you reheat dumplings? While it isn’t rocket science, there is a right and a wrong way to get Chinese steamed dumplings heated up properly.
Below, I give you some step-by-step instructions as to how to reheat dumplings using the microwave or the skillet.
#1 – Do Not Re-steam Them!
You really should not be steaming already cooked dumplings as a way to reheat them, as this will cause them to get mushy and soggy. While steaming them is possible, you have to strike that perfect balance of getting them properly heated up and not letting them sit too long and become soggy. That is why the microwave or the skillet is the best option available, as it gets them perfectly hot with not much chance of error.
You can however steam frozen dumplings, as those haven’t been cooked as yet and steam is exactly what they need.
The microwave is a pretty good way to reheat dumplings and it is also really quick. In a couple of minutes, you can have them steaming hot and ready to be eaten.
- First thing is to place the dumplings in a microwave safe container.
- Cover with a damp paper towel.
- Zap the dumplings for about 45 seconds to 1 minute. The time might be a bit longer, depending on how cold they are.
- Once the dumplings have been reheated to your liking, you can take out and enjoy.
The Skillet Is a Good Option
If you are anti-microwave or you do not own one, you could also try reheating the dumplings on the stovetop in a skillet.
This is a pretty quick method as well and will definitely get them piping hot in no time.
- The first thing you need to do pre-heat the skillet (medium-low heat) on the stovetop and 3-4 tablespoons of water to it. The water will not cause the dumplings to dry out.
- Put the dumplings in the skillet and cover the skillet.
- Let the dumpling reheat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Check to ensure that they are fully reheated, if not you might have to let them stay a little bit longer.
- Once fully heated up, take out the dumplings and serve.
As you can see, when it comes to reheating dumplings, you have 2 really good options available to you. Each option is quick and gets the job done. In a couple of minutes, with minimal steps, you should have steaming hot dumplings, ready to enjoy.