Gummy bears are a classic candy that everyone loves.
However, sometimes they can be a little too hard and chewy, especially if they have been stored in a cool place or the refrigerator.
There are a few different ways to soften gummy bears so that they are easier to eat and we are going to highlight them in this simple guide.
With that said, let’s get right into it.
Why Do Gummy Bears Get Hard?
First of all, we need to understand why these candies get hard in the first place.
The answer is a bit of candy chemistry. Gummy bears are made from gelatin.
Gelatin is made from collagen and collagen is found in the bones, skin and connective tissue of animals.
Collagen has a very unique property to it. When it cools down too quickly or gets exposed to temperatures that are just slightly cold for an extended period of time (like inside your refrigerator), this causes the collagen to harden and set into a solid state.
This is exactly what happens when you leave gummy bears in the refrigerator for too long or take them outside on a cold night and they get chilly. You will find that they will usually stiffen up and become tough.
How Do I Soften Gummy Bears?
If you have some gummy bears that have hardened on you, there are a couple of easy things that you can do to soften them up.
Warm Water Method
One of the easiest ways to soften gummy bears is by soaking them in warm water for up to 30 minutes.
This is very effective at softening them up, but it can be time consuming. If you are in a rush to eat your candy, this warm water method is not your best bet because of how long it will take you.
- Get a container that’s large enough to hold your gummy bears. Fill it with warm water and place the gummy bears inside of it.
- Leave them in there for up to 30 minutes until they are soft again. Make sure not to leave then in there any longer than this, because you will run the risk of them melting.
- After the 30 minutes has elapsed, remove them from the warm water and they should be soft again! Enjoy your gummy bears
Another method of softening gummy bears is by microwaving them. Many people have had success with this method and if you want to eat your gummy bears right away, this might be your best option.
- Place the gummy bear inside of a microwave safe container or bowl.
- Spray the gummy bears with some water and put them in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
- If they are still hard after the first time, then give it a blast for around 5-10 seconds, until they soften up again.
- After this, you should have a bowl of soft gummy bears that are ready to eat!
Leave Them Somewhere Warm
Another method that some people have had success with is leaving the gummy bears out in a warm place.
- Leave them on your countertop for up to an hour or until they soften back up again. Make sure you check on them every so often, because there’s always the risk of mold if not stored properly!
Wrapping it up
As you can see there are multiple different ways to soften gummy bears. Which method works the best for you will come down to your level of patience and how much time you’re willing to put into it!
Hope this article helped you out and you have a great time enjoying your gummy bears!
Which option worked best for you ? Leave a comment below!