There are many ways that you can thaw frozen duck quickly safely.
In this guide, we will highlight the quick and safe defrosting methods such as:
- Defrosting in the refrigerator
- Cold-water thawing
- Microwave thawing
You will also get step-by-step instructions for each method, as well as other useful information.
With that said, here are the 3 different methods you can use.
How to Long Does it Take to Defrost Frozen Duck?
The amount of time it takes to thaw frozen duck will depend on the type of method you use.
Some methods are quicker than others, but ultimately it comes down to how quickly and safely you want it defrosted.
The chart below shows the general thawing time for frozen duck, depending on the method.
|Method||Defrosting Time||Storage Instructions|
|Overnight in the Refrigerator||8-12 hours||After thawing, duck can be stored up to 48 Hours in the refrigerator.|
|Cold-water Method||25-60 Mins||After thawing, duck can be stored up to 48 Hours in the refrigerator.|
|Microwave||5-10 Mins||Cook Immediately.|
You Might Like: How to Thaw Frozen Cornish Hen
How to Thaw Frozen Duck: 3 Best Methods to Use
If you are looking to thaw frozen duck safely/quickly, it is best to use one of the 3 recommended methods:
- Overnight in the refrigerator (recommended)
- Using the microwave
- Cold-water method
Each method is very different, but they’ll all have the frozen duck thawed and ready to be used.
So let’s look at each method in more detail to see which one will be best fit for you.
How to Defrost Frozen Duck in the Refrigerator
The refrigerator is the safest place to thaw frozen food because it maintains a constant temperature of 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
This eliminates the possibility for the growth of harmful bacteria and other microorganisms.
The thawing process will take several hours, depending on the size of the duck. However, you can expect it to fully or be close to fully-thawed in around 8-12 hours.
If you leave it overnight, it should be thawed and ready to go.
- Remove the frozen duck from the freezer
- Place in a pan or container
- Place the pan or container in your refrigerator on the bottom shelf. This is done for food safety reasons, as you do not want possible raw juices from the thawing duck to drip onto ready to eat foods.
- Thaw overnight or until the frozen duck is fully defrosted. (It could take up to 12 hours)
- Once thawed, remove from the refrigerator, prepare and cook.
Please Note: A thawed duck shouldn’t be kept for more than 2 days in a refrigerator.
How to Defrost Frozen Duck in Cold Water
Thawing frozen duck in cold water is another fast method that can be used if you need the bird defrosted quickly. The thawing process should take less than an hour, but this will depend on the size of the duck.
While the cold-water method is not as quick as the microwave, it is a safe method to use, as it reduces the possibility of the growth of harmful bacteria as the duck thaws.
- Remove the frozen duck from the freezer place it in a pot or bowl
- Fill the bowl/pot with cold water until the frozen duck is fully submerged.
- The cold water should be changed every 10-15 minutes until the duck is thawed (can take from 30-60 minutes).
- Once thawed, remove from the water, prepare and cook.
How to Defrost Frozen Duck in the Microwave
The microwave is the quickest method you can use to thaw frozen duck. However, you should be careful when using it, as if the duck is left too long in the microwave, there is a chance that you could end up cooking it.
- Place the frozen duck in a microwave-safe container or plate
- Microwave the frozen duck using the defrost setting. Depending on how large it is, it might take anywhere between 5-15 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the duck to ensure that it is defrosting evenly and that it has not started cooking.
- Once thawed, the duck should be cooked immediately.
Wrapping it up
Hopefully, you now know how to thaw frozen duck quickly and safely. Thawing it in the refrigerator is your safest bet, but if you are looking for speed then the microwave or the cold-water method is your best option.
If you liked this article on how to thaw frozen duck, please feel free to share it!
Let us know what methods have worked for you in the comments section below.