If you’re like most home cooks, you probably have a stash of frozen pasta sauces in your freezer for nights when you don’t have the time or energy to make a fresh sauce from scratch.
So, what do you do when you want to use one of those sauces and it’s frozen solid?
Don’t worry, that’s why you ended up here! There are a few ways to thaw it quickly so you can get dinner on the table. Keep reading for four easy methods.
Thawing Frozen Pasta Sauce: 4 Best Methods to Use
Whether you forgot to take your pasta sauce out of the freezer or you’re dealing with a spontaneous craving for spaghetti, there’s no need to panic. Frozen pasta sauce can be thawed relatively quickly using one of several methods.
The 4 methods that we’ll discuss in this article are overnight in the refrigerator, the microwave, a cold water bath or just leaving it on the counter.
Now, let’s get right into it.
You Might Like: How to Thaw Frozen Ground Turkey
How to Thaw Pasta Sauce Overnight in the Refrigerator?
If you are planning ahead and want the recommended method for thawing pasta sauce, it is best to let it sit overnight in the refrigerator to defrost.
If you put it in, by the next morning it should be fully thawed out and there is no risk of its spoiling, as it will be kept at a safe and constant temperature (around 40 °F) as it defrosts.
This is a slow process, so it is ideal if you are going to be cooking the next morning.
- Remove the container with the frozen pasta sauce from the freezer and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Put the plate with the container in the refrigerator and let the pasta sauce defrost for around 8 to 12 hours (overnight).
- Once the pasta sauce has been thawed, it can be reheated or used
- Place the plate with the tuna steaks on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator, so no accidental drippings from the fish lands on other food being stored.
- Let the tuna thaw for around 8 to 12 hours (overnight). Change the paper towels lining the container if they become too wet.
- Once thawed, pat dry the tuna dry with paper towels before cooking.
- If you do not plan to cook the tuna steaks immediately after defrosting, the steaks should be packaged properly and kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
How to Defrost Pasta Sauce Using the Microwave?
One of the quickest ways to defrost frozen pasta sauce is in the microwave. You can have your sauce defrosted and ready to use in a matter of minutes.
- First, remove the sauce from the freezer and place it in a microwave-safe container.
- Microwave the sauce on low power for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the sauce from the microwave and stir it gently to help break up any ice crystals that may have formed. If the sauce is still frozen in places, returning it to the microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Once thawed, the pasta sauce can be reheated on the stovetop over low heat. Be sure to stir the sauce frequently to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
How to Thaw Pasta Sauce Using the Cold Water Method
If you want to thaw your pasta sauce a bit faster than the refrigerator method, you can use the cold water method. This is ideal if you forgot to thaw your sauce the night before and you’re in a hurry.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water
- Place the sealed container of sauce in a large bowl or sink of cold water.
- Allow the pasta sauce to thaw in the water for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once it has thawed completely, your pasta sauce will be ready to use.
How to Thaw Pasta Sauce by Letting It Sit at Room Temperature?
If you are not necessarily in a rush, your frozen pasta sauce can be thawed simply by sitting it out at room temperature.
You don’t necessarily have to let it thaw for hours, as you once it is able to come out of the container, you can add it to a pan or pot, where it can be reheated.
If the pasta sauce contains meat, it is not recommended to let it thaw at room temperature, as there is a risk of bacteria growth.
Wrapping it up
So, there you have it! These four methods will that frozen pasta sauce quickly and easily. The next time you’re stuck with a jar of frozen pasta sauce, simply thaw it using one of these methods and you’ll be good to go. Enjoy!