Served with the right dish, rice is definitely the perfect complement. Many cultures enjoy rice and you will often find that is a staple in a variety of commonly eaten dishes.
The best way to reheat rice that is frozen is really dependent on your personal preference. The two main options are either by microwaving it or reheating it on the stove top. Both methods are really quick and if done properly, you should have some piping hot rice to go with your scrumptious meal.
Microwave the Quickest Option
- Take the rice out of the freezer. The great thing is you do not need to defrost before reheating.
- Place in a microwave safe container.
- Add a bit of water to the container, usually about a teaspoon of water per cup of rice. ((todao. (2008, November 9). “Reheating Frozen Rice…”.com Retrieved 2012-04-11))
- Cover the container with a damp towel or plastic wrap; this will help to retain the moisture.
- Choose the reheat function or 50% power.
- Turn on the microwave for about 3-4 minutes or when steaming hot.
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Serve rice with favorite meal.
Steps for Reheating on the Stove Top
Like microwaving, it is actually the steam that will cause you to have rice that is not dry and crumbly. Generally, rice is considered cooked when it has absorbed all the water. ((“Bacon and Food Safety”. Fsis.usda.gov. Retrieved 2012-04-11)). When you freeze or refrigerate food, you are going to lose a bit of moisture. When you are steaming, you are going to be putting back some of the moisture in the rice.
- Take rice out of the freezer.
- Place in a pot that has a cover.
- Add a bit of water to the pot (this will help to steam the rice).
- Cover the pot and turn the stove top on to a mid-heat.
- The rice should be left to steam for maybe 10 minutes or until piping hot.
- Serve with favorite meal.
Why It’s a Good Idea to Use Rice That’s Frozen
- If you have rice that is frozen, it can save you a lot of time as opposed to cooking rice from scratch.
- There is no real skill needed as you are just reheating rice that has been cooked already
- Store bought frozen rice is pretty good; all you have to do is reheat it properly.
- You can make quick use of excess rice you cooked days before.
- Is simple to cook and requires little preparation
- Takes the guessing out of the cooking e.g. how much water to rice ratio? ((“Why Buy Frozen Pizza, Pasta and Rice”.com Retrieved 2012-04-11))