A fresh dish of mashed potatoes is a pretty enjoyable dish, especially when it is hot and warm right out of the kitchen. For whatever reason, you may have some left over in the fridge that you might need heating up. Below, I will highlight some of the most quick and efficient methods that can be used to reheat mashed potatoes in an instant.
The Microwave to Reheat Mashed Potatoes
Heating up mashed potatoes in the microwave is by far the quickest way to get everything hot and steamy and back on track. It is quite easy to do and it will only take about 1 to 2 minutes to get everything heated up properly.
- The first thing to do is place the mashed potatoes in a microwavable dish
- Cover with a plastic wrap
- Heat the mashed potatoes at medium for two minutes
- Check to see if it is fully heated, as some microwaves intensity will vary
- takeout and enjoy
Ideally, the stove top is really the best place to go about reheating and warming up mashed potatoes. You will be able to recreate the dish as when you first had it and the heating can be done more evenly. This is actually pretty quick and simple to do, if done correctly, please be careful, as you could burn potatoes if not done properly.
- Heat up a nonstick skillet on the medium setting
- if you would like, you could add olive oil or butter, just to give it a bit more flavor
- Some people like to add a bit of milk to make the mashed potatoes a bit creamier during this process. This is not a must, but it is something you should consider.
- Continue to stir the mashed potatoes continually until thoroughly heated
2 Pot Method
When doing the stovetop method, you really have to pay close attention so that you will not burn the mashed potatoes. Just a little too much heat, can ruin your reheating process and I’m pretty sure you do not want that to happen.
So what is the 2 pot method? What this is, is you have one pot where you will reheat mashed potatoes in and then the second pot you’re going to put some water in. The second pot should be way bigger than the first pot. What you do is then place the first pot in the water and just continue stirring around the potatoes. This will ensure that the potatoes do not get burned, as the water serves as a buffer. You can also do it with other heat resistant cookware, whatever works best for you.
If you are anti-microwave or you just do not have one, you could heat up the mashed potatoes in the oven. This process is a bit longer, but you will be able to get the same results if it is done properly.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Place the mashed potatoes in a Pyrex dish
- Add a small amount of milk
- Cover with foil
- Reheat for about 15-30 minutes (depending on the size of the dish you are reheating)
- You can constantly check to ensure that it is reheated to your liking.
- Be aware that it should not be kept in for too long, as it can get crisp.
Mashed potatoes are a simple dish to reheat and hopefully you will consider any of the methods mentioned above when considering warming up your next batch.