If you landed on this page, you are more than likely trying to figure out if you can freeze cooked bacon?
Well, today’s your lucky day!
In this short guide, I will not only answer the question of reheating bacon, but I will also highlight a couple reasons why it is a good idea to store this popular breakfast item in the freezer.
So keep on reading to find how.
Can You Freeze Cooked Bacon?
Yes, you absolutely can freeze cooked bacon and it’s the perfect option if you plan on cooking a big batch in advance, for use at a later time. There is no change in the taste or texture of the cooked bacon, once it is packaged properly.
How Long Does Cooked Bacon Last In The Freezer?
Cooked bacon can be stored in the freezer indefinitely, but for the best quality, it’s recommended that you that you use it within 3-4 months. The longer it sits in the cold environment, is the higher the chance it will dry out or get freezer burn.
Why Freeze Cooked Bacon Slices?
I know some of you might be wondering if it is really better to freeze bacon that was cooked as opposed to uncooked. There are a couple of reasons why many people (including myself) choose to freeze cooked bacon, but the most common are:
It’s a Time Saver
Cooking bacon is a process (trust me, I know). You have to take it out of the freezer, defrost it and then cook it. This can take anywhere from 20-40 minutes and that doesn’t work if you’re in a hurry. But if you have cooked bacon in the freezer, all you need to do is reheat it.
It Makes Meal Planning Easier
If you love having bacon in your breakfast or as a part of your recipe, but don’t want to go through the hassle of cooking it every time, then freezing it is the way to go. You can cook a big batch on the weekend and then just grab however much you need, when you need it.
Great for Large Gatherings or Events
Cooking for a large group can be stressful, so why not make things easier on yourself by cooking the bacon in advance and freezing it. This is one less thing you have to worry about and you can focus on making sure everything else is perfect.
How to Freeze Bacon That’s Already Cooked?: A Step-by-Step Guide
Freezing bacon that has already been cooked is not exactly rocket science, but there are a couple things you need to do to make sure it is packed properly.
Here is an easy step-by-step list to guide you can follow.
- Batch cook the amount of bacon you plan on storing.
- Let it cool completely, before preparing it for storage in the freezer.
- Once the bacon has cooled, you can wrap them with foil, plastic wrap or freezer paper. Make sure to wrap each strip individually, so you can take out only as much as you need.
- Once you have wrapped all the strips, place them in a freezer safe container or bag. If you are using a freezer bag, make sure to remove as much air as possible before sealing it.
- Label the bag or the container with the date, just in case you forget how long it’s been in the freezer.
- Store in the freezer for 3-4 months (to maximize freshness)
- Thaw and reheat when you are ready to use.
If you are a more visual person, check out the how to video below, that highlights the exact steps you can follow.
How to Use Cooked Bacon That Has Been Frozen?
To use your cooked bacon that’s been sitting in the freezer, it has to be thawed and then reheated.
We have detailed guides on both methods, which you can check out below.
It’s easy to thaw cooked bacon that’s been popped out of the freezer. Simply take out the cooked bacon from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator. It takes around one to three days for the bacon to thaw properly. However, if you don’t have time, placing it in the microwave oven to thaw is okay too.
After thawing, you can now place it in the microwave oven to cook for a few minutes in medium setting. Depending on the bacon, you can cook it even for 10 to 20 seconds.
On the other hand, you can also place the thawed cooked bacon onto the frying pan with oil. This will result to a crispier bacon compared to if you were just to reheat it in the microwave oven.
It’s important to not refreeze cooked bacon that has already been thawed. It is a general rule to immediately eat meat that has already been thawed and reheated.
There you have it! Everything you need to know about freezing cooked bacon. Let’s recap what we’ve learned.
- It is possible to freeze bacon that has been cooked.
- You can store it in the freezer for 3-4 months, for best quality.
- Freezing bacon saves time, is great for meal prepping and large gatherings.
- The process of freezing it, is pretty straight-forward.
- When you’re ready to use it, thaw and reheat according to our linked guides.
If you feel we have missed anything, or have any additional tips to share, please drop a comment below! We’re always happy to help out fellow bacon lovers. 🙂