Do you have a killer pancake recipe or made a big batch and wanted to know if you can freeze pancakes?
This short guide will not only answer the question, but also take a deep dive into the overall process of freezing pancakes.
So, keep reading to find out.
Can You Freeze Pancakes & Should You Be Doing It?
Yes, you can freeze pancakes and it is highly recommended if you want a quick grab and go breakfast in the morning or want to have some on hand.
It is actually pretty easy to freeze pancakes and if done properly, you can keep them in the freezer for about 1 to 2 months.
One of the main reasons why you should look at freezing pancakes is that you will always have
The good thing about having these frozen products, is that you can pop them in the microwave or oven when you are ready to eat them and they would be the same as if they came fresh out of the skillet.
Related: Can You Freeze Waffles?
How to Freeze Pancakes: A Step-by-Step Guide
The process is actually pretty easy and it will only take a couple of minutes to get everything set up and running.
- The first thing you’re going to want to do is to cook the pancakes. Once you have the batch finished, you should let them cool until they are at room temperature. You definitely don’t want to put hot food inside the freezer.
- Once the pancakes are cooled, place them on a cookie/baking sheet. If the baking sheet is full, you can layer them, placing parchment paper over the first set of pancakes. You will also not want them to touch, as this could cause them to freeze together.
- After a couple of hours in the freezer, the pancakes should now be ready for packaging. If you want an extra layer of protection, it is a good idea to take them in wrap them in aluminum foil.
- After that step, you are now going to want to place the pancakes in a freezer bag. You’re going to want to try and squeeze out as much air as possible about bag before you seal it. This is to ensure that the pancakes do not suffer from freezer burn.
- It is also a good idea to label the freezer bag with the date, just so you have an idea when you first put them in. Remember, you can keep frozen pancakes for about 1 to 2 months.
Related: Can You Freeze Croissants?
Thawing & Reheating
Now that we have the freezing process out of the way, how do you go about thawing or reheating the pancakes?
Ideally you do not need to thaw out frozen pancakes, as you can reheat them directly in the oven or microwave straight out of the freezer. However, if you want them defrosted, you can either let them sit in the refrigerator overnight, or let them site and thaw out at room temperature.
Reheating Reheating is pretty simple and you can take a look at my guide for the full details, but essentially all you need to do is place the frozen pancakes in the microwave or oven. Then should warm up perfectly and piping hot with no problems