Did you just make an amazing cherry Pie? Was the recipe so amazing that your family and friends are going to devour the one you made in matter of seconds; but you made an extra one and wanted to save it for later?
Is it possible to store a cherry pie? If so, how long will it last in the freezer?
We answer those questions below, as well as give some other useful tips are it relates getting your cherry pie ready for storage in the freezer.
Can You Freeze Cherry Pie? (Should You Be Doing This?)
Quick Answer: Yes, you can freeze cherry pie. This is a great way store your pie for future use.
When packaged properly, a baked cherry pie can be kept in the freezer for around 6-8 months and it would still taste the same as when it 1st went in, when reheated.
Why Freezing a Cherry Pie is a Good Idea!
If you are having a dinner party or you made a bunch of pies and you just wanted to enjoy it at a later date, the freezer is really one of the better options available.
You can also cut the cherry pie into pieces and individually freeze each one. This comes in handy if you just want to enjoy one slice. There would be no need to defrost the whole pie.
Speaking of defrosting, thawing out the cherry pie is no problem and we look at the process a bit more below.
Related: Can You Freeze Pumpkin Pie?
How to Freeze Cherry Pie? Step-by-Step Guide
When you are ready to freeze your cherry pie, the whole process is quick and simple. It should only take you a couple of minutes to get everything setup and ready.
- Take freshly baked cherry pie and allow it to sit and cool.
- Once the pie is fully cooled, you can now slice it into individual serving sizes.
- Take the pie slices or whole pie and wrap with plastic freezer wrap. You can also add another layer of protection by also wrapping the plastic wrapper layer with aluminum foil.
- Now that the pieces/whole pie are wrapped, you can place them inside a freezer bag. You can try and squeeze out as much air as possible, before you seal the bag.
- Before placing the freezer bag in the freezer, it is a good idea to label it. This is so that you have an idea as to how long it has been in there.
Related: Can You Freeze Key Lime Pie?
Cherry Pie Filling, Can It Also Be Frozen?
If you wanted to freeze the cherry pie filling, the process would essentially be the same.
Cherry Pie Filling – If you want to freeze the filling, you the process is a bit different. Ideally you are going to want to make the filling from scratch and once it is finished, you are going to have to put it in a container or freezer bag.
Defrosting Your Frozen Cherry Pie
You can thaw out your cherry pie 2 different ways:
Allow it to Thaw Out in the Refrigerator: You can take the frozen pie and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. The next day, it should be fully thawed out. You can then reheat it using the microwave or in the oven.
Allow it to Sit at Room Temperature: You can take the frozen pie and let it sit at room temperature for a couple of hours till it is fully defrosted. You can eat the pie as is, but if you want it piping hot, you can place the pie in the oven or zap it with the microwave.