Want to know if you can freeze Oreo cookies? Is this something you should or should not be doing?
We not only answer those questions below, but also give you other useful information as it relates to freezing this popular snack.
Can You Freeze Oreo Cookies & Should You Be Doing This?
Yes, you absolutely can freeze Oreos and surprisingly, this is done by a lot of people.
Keep in mind, Oreo cookies have a very long shelf life and you will often find that people who freeze them might have an insane amount of packages that they can’t go through in one go.
Nonetheless, you can freeze the cookies and there will be change in the texture or taste once you take them out. The will be as crispy and fresh as when you first put them in, granted that you packed them properly for storage in the freezer.
Frozen Oreo’s Are The Hidden Cheat Code to Life
Not a lot of people know about the frozen Oreo food hack, however, as you can see by the Twitter posts above, it is really one of life’s hidden secrets.
Frozen Oreo cookies will change your life and it is highly recommended you try it, especially if you like comfort foods with a bit of chill.
Users on Reddit found a pretty cool way to take frozen Oreos to another level.
User nbrettie recommended that you “Dip Oreos in milk until soft then freeze. They are delicious with the consistency of Oreos in cookies n cream ice cream.”
Reddit was blown away by the revelation and this is one more food hack to try with your Oreos in the freezer.
Related: Can You Freeze Shortbread Cookies?
How to Freeze Frozen Oreos? A Step-by-Step Guide
Getting Oreo cookies for the freezer is pretty simple and does not require much prep or effort.
You can either freeze whole packages, or separate them into individual servings, it really depends on how you plan on using them.
Steps for Whole Packages:
- You can take unopened OREO cookie packages and pack them in Ziploc freezer bags or freezer safe containers. These bags/containers will help to protect the cookies from absorbing any unwanted odors that might be lingering in the freezer.
- If you plan on keeping them in the freezer for some time, it is a good idea to write the date on the containers/bags, just so you have an idea as to how long they have been sitting there.
Steps for Individual Cookies:
- For individual Oreo’s, remove from the packaging and cover with plastic freezer wrap.
- Placed the wrapped cookies in a freezer-safe bag/container. This will ensure that the cookies do not absorb any lingering freezer odors.
- Ideally, it is a good idea label the freezer bag/container, just to have an idea as to how long they have been in the freezer.
- When ready to enjoy, eat directly from the freezer, or let thaw at room temperature.
Thawing Them Out or Eat Them Cold?
While you can thaw out frozen OREOS, ideally, they should be eaten as a cold treat.
To thaw them out, you can remove from the freezer and let them sit till they reach room temperature.
They will still be crispy and taste the same as when you first put them in (once packaged properly).
Tip: No need to thaw, just eat them straight out of the freezer, you will thank me later.
Wrapping it up
Frozen Oreo’s are one of those food hacks that you NEED to try if you are a fan of this cookie.
Throwing them in the freezer kicks the delicious snack to another level. If you are concerned about extending the shelf life, then you can keep them in the freezer for months.
Oreo’s will still retain their taste and be the same as when you first put them in.