Can you freeze chocolate chip cookies? Do you have a fresh batch sitting in the kitchen waiting to be devoured, but you know you have to put some aside so you can enjoy at a later date? Do you have a special occasion later on in the year where it would be easier to just freeze your chocolate chip cookies and use them at a later date? Well if you want to know if it is possible to freeze your baked goodies, the answer is yes.
Why it’s a Good Idea to Freeze Them?
It is quite easy to freeze chocolate chip cookies and you keep them up to three months in the freezer, if packaged properly. Once you are ready to eat them, all you have to do is let them defrost and pop them into the microwave or oven to give them a quick reheat. It would almost be the same as when you first put them in.
How to Freeze Chocolate Chip Cookies?
The process for freezing chocolate chip cookies is actually pretty easy and it will not take a long time to get everything set up properly.
- If you are attempting to freeze freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, the first thing you are going to want to do is take them out the oven and allow them to cool properly. The worst thing you can do is to put food that is hot inside of a freezer.
- Once the cookies are properly cooled, you are going to stack them on top of each other. Have some wax paper on hand, as this will be placed between each cookie as you stack them.
- Once you have a nice little stack going, you are either going to put it in an airtight freezer container or you can wrap them plastic wrap. I suggest you use the plastic wrap as it is an added layer of protection and it will help to keep away the freezer burn or anything that could degrade the taste of the chocolate chip cookies.
- You should wrap it multiple times to make sure they are well protected. You could even add another layer of protection, by wrapping the cookies with aluminum foil.
- Once finished, you can now place cookies directly into a freezer bag or you could place the airtight container into the freezer bag as well.
- It is a good idea to label the freezer bag, just so that you have an idea as to when they first went in.
Thawing & Reheating Your Frozen Chocolate Chip Cookies
Before you are ready to enjoy those amazing frozen chocolate chip cookies, you are going to want to let them sit and defrost.
The best way to do this is by letting the frozen chocolate chip cookies sit and thaw out at room temperature. This can take a couple of minutes or an hour.
After they chocolate chip cookies have been defrosted, you can either eat your cookies at room temperature, or warm them up. If you are looking to warm these cookies up, you can check out my reheating chocolate chip cookies guide. There we look at at the best reheating options available from the quick microwave, to the trusty oven.
Related: Can You Freeze Oreo Cookies?