Can You Freeze Thai Green Curry?
Yes, you absolutely can freeze Thai green curry, once it is packaged properly for the freezer. Frozen Thai green curry can last up to 6 months in the freezer, but it is recommended that it is used within a month or two to maximize the dishes freshness. Traditional Thai green curry (made with coconut milk), might have a change in texture as it thaws. The texture of the sauce may become a little grainy.
How to Freeze Thai Green: A Step-by-Step Guide
As we mentioned earlier, Thai green curry can be stored up to 6 months in the freezer, once it is packaged properly.
The process of freezing the curry is quite easy and we provide the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before transferring the Thai green curry to its storage container/freezer bag, it is important to let it cool. You should never place hot foods in the freezer
- Place your cooled Thai green curry in a freezer-safe bag. You can also place it in a freezer-safe container, but the curry tends to stain plastic containers, so it is best to go with the Ziploc plastic freezer bags.
- You can either freeze one large serving or separate into individual portion sizes.
- Before sealing the bag, squeeze out as much air out of the bag, as this will help to reduce the chance of freezer burn.
Label and date the bags/container before placing in the freezer. This will let you know what is stored in the
How to Thaw Frozen Thai Green Curry
When you are ready to enjoy your frozen Thai green curry, you will have to defrost it.
The different recommended methods:
- Overnight in the refrigerator
Please note: Once thawed, some separation may take place with the sauce. You have to give it a quick stir to reconstitute it back to its original texture.
You should never thaw at room temperature, as it is unsafe and it opens up the possibility for the growth of harmful bacteria that causes food poisoning.
Overnight in the Refrigerator
The ideal way to thaw frozen Thai green curry is to let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. It will take about 6-8 hours to full defrost, but it is safe, as the dish will always be at a constant temperature as it defrosts.
If you are in a rush, you can always use the microwave. The microwave is a quick and effective method to thaw Thai green curry that has been sitting in the freezer.
- Remove the bag with the Thai green curry from the freezer.
- If the Ziploc bag/container is microwave safe, you can place it directly in the microwave. If not, remove the contents from the bag and place in a microwave-safe plate/container.
- Use the defrost or low power setting and microwave the frozen curry for 5-10 minutes or until it has thawed.
- Once thawed, heat in the microwave on high until steaming hot.
You kill two birds with one stone by thawing and reheating the Thai green curry directly from the freezer directly to the saucepan.
- Heat a saucepan on a low-medium flame.
- Remove the frozen curry and place directly in the saucepan.
- Continuously stir as the curry begins to thaw.
- Heat until steaming hot or 165° F
Related: Can You Freeze Alfredo Sauce?
Wrapping it up
Now I’d like to hear from you:
Did we answer all the questions you had as it related to freezing Thai green curry?
Was there anything we missed?
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below right now.