Watermelon without a doubt is one of the best summer fruits. It is absolutely refreshing, tasty and it is hard to just eat one slice. As great as watermelon is, it can be a bit challenging trying to eat a whole one and it can get mushy and unenjoyable after a couple of days in the fridge.
So, if you are here, you want to know if you can freeze watermelon. The answer is yes, melon can be frozen, but keep in mind that when it is thawed, it will be mushy. That shouldn’t stop you, as they make pretty dope ice-pops.
How to Freeze Watermelon: A Quick Guide
When stored correctly, you can keep frozen watermelon from anywhere from eight months up to a year. So you should have enough watermelon to last you all year long when watermelon season is over.
Steps to Freezing Watermelon
- Cut the melon into small cubes or balls.
- Take some time and take out the seeds.
- Place the pieces of watermelon on a baking sheet. Ensure that they do not touch.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer and let it stay for a couple of hours until the melon pieces are frozen.
- Take out the frozen pieces and place in a freezer safe bag or container.
- Label the bag with the date you put it in, so you have an idea how long they have been sitting in the freezer. Frozen watermelon can be stored from 8-12 months in the freezer.
Frequently Asked Questions Related to Freezing Watermelon
Below are just some questions people ask as it relates to freezing watermelon.
What Happens When It Thaws Out?
When thawing out, the texture of the frozen watermelon will change and it will become more mushy, they more it defrosts. It is a good idea to eat the frozen watermelon chunks as a popsicle or let it partially thaw out.
Can You Freeze Watermelon Slices?
Yes you can. It would be the same option as freezing watermelon pieces. You need to cut the slices, freeze on a baking tray and store in freezer bag for up to 8-12 months. Be aware that when the watermelon slices begin to defrost, it will become mushy. So it is a good idea to eat them like ice pops or frozen treats.
Can Frozen Watermelon Be Used in Smoothies?
Absolutely! Once you take out the seeds and freeze them like how we described above, the frozen chunks would be the perfect option for your smoothie recipe that requires frozen melon.
How Long Does it Take to Freeze?
The amount of time it takes to freeze watermelon will depend on your freezer. Generally, after a couple of hours, the fruit should be frozen solid.