Grits are a southern staple and can be eaten in many different ways. Grits can be served as breakfast, lunch or dinner with bacon, eggs, cheese and so much more.
If you landed on this page, you more than likely want to know how do you reheat grits?
The process is actually pretty easy and today, you are going to learn the right way to get this get this classic Southern comfort food warm and ready!
Is It Safe to Reheat Grits?
One of the common questions people ask is “is it safe to reheat grits?”
The short answer is yes.
Once the grits are reheated properly, then there will be no problem in consuming it.
It should be noted that eating leftover grits is not the same as eating some that was freshly cooked.
Reheating can slightly change the texture of your grits, so if you are looking for that creamy consistency, then it’s best to make them fresh.
However, if you have no problems with it being warmed up, then you can look at reheating methods below.
Best Way to Reheat Grits – 2 Best Methods to Use
When it comes to reheating grits, you actually have two different methods you can use.
Reheating grits on the stovetop or the microwave both work very well and the one you choose simply depends on how much time you have.
Let us now dig a little deeper and take a closer look at these two methods.
You Might Like: How to Reheat Oatmeal?
How to Reheat Grits on the Stovetop?
If you want to really get your crates reheated properly, then the stovetop is definitely the best option to use. It doesn’t take much and in a couple of minutes, you will have the grits piping hot and ready to eat.
- Place the cold grits in a pot.
- Add a little bit of water, milk or broth to the grits in the pot.
- Place the pot on the stovetop, uncovered over a low flame.
- Stir occasionally to prevent any clumping or scorching.
- Once it has started heating up, if you feel that it is too thick or lumpy, you can add more water, milk or broth.
- After a couple of minutes, the grits should be steaming hot and ready to eat.
- Let sit for a couple of minutes before enjoying.
Once the grits is finished heating up, some people like to add their extras to it, you can get really creative at this point.
You can add a little bit of butter or cheese or even some bacon pieces. This is definitely something you should try, as it can give your just warmed up grits a whole new flavor profile.
How to Reheat Grits in the Microwave?
If you just want a quicker option when it comes to reheating your grits, then you can definitely use the microwave.
The microwave should have everything reheated and ready to eat in a couple of seconds.
- Place grits in a microwave safe container/dish.
- Zap it at a medium heat for about 30 seconds to 1 minute (depending on the power of the microwave).
- If it is too thick, add a bit of water or broth and stir it around till it reaches the consistency you like.
- Once finished, take out and enjoy.
Whichever option you choose, always try and get creative with the grits! There are tons of recipes on the internet and you can always try something new and surprise the family.
You Might Like: How to Reheat Mashed Potatoes?
Wrapping it up?
One of the most popular ways to reheat grits is on the stovetop, but the microwave is a quick method to consider.
Reheated grits can sometimes not taste or have the same consistency as freshly-cooked grits, so when reheating, you might have to add some water, butter or broth to give it that creamy texture or better flavor.
Is there a reheating method you prefer? Feel free to share which one is your go-to the comments below!