Can you freeze scrambled eggs? Do you have a morning where you are just in a rush and do not have time to sit and make a great breakfast? Wouldn’t it be good if you could just make something ahead of time that would taste absolutely amazing and you would not have to worry about sitting and cooking? Well scrambled eggs are one of those dishes that can be frozen and reheated with no problems.
My little guide below will show you the right way to get everything done, in a couple of easy to follow steps.
How to Freeze Scrambled Eggs
When it comes to freezing scrambled eggs, it is a fairly easy process. Once you have the eggs cooked and cooled, it is a simple 1-2 process that will have them frozen in no time.
You find that most people opt to freeze this meal, simply because it is much easier to reheat, especially if they are in the rush. Eggs that are scrambled freeze easily and you can store them for up to two months, so you can make a big batch ahead of time and take out when you need it.
The only downside may come when you are trying to reheat it, as some methods (such as the microwave) might make the eggs come out not tasting the same.
Related: Can You Freeze Fried Eggs?
Freezing Scrambled Eggs: Step by Step Guide
As mentioned above, freezing your eggs is pretty simple and below is a quick guide with steps to follow.
- You are going to cook the scrambled eggs however you like it.
- It might be a good idea to leave them a little runny, as this will help when reheating.
- Once finished, you are going to let the eggs cool.
- After cooling, you can now double wrap them with plastic freezer wrap. You can either doing this in a container or do the eggs by themselves. It is also a good time to separate into different portions, especially if you plan on eating the eggs at different times.
- For an extra layer of protection to prevent freezer burn, it is also a good idea to wrap everything with aluminum foil.
- When finished, you can now place it in a freezer bag. Try and squeeze out as much air as possible before sealing.
- It is always a good idea to put the date on the freezer bags, that way you can have a good idea how low they have been sitting there. You can store scrambled for up to 2 months.
Related: Can You Freeze an Omelet?
How Do You Thaw and Reheat?
When you are ready to use the frozen scrambled eggs, the next step would be to thaw them out. If you will be using them the next morning, you could always take them, place them in the refrigerator and let them defrost overnight. By the time you are ready to heat them up, they should be fully thawed out. If you are planning on using them right away, some people let them sit until they get to room temperature, where they can reheat them. Other people just take them as they are in the frozen state and just reheat them that way, even though that is not advisable.
When it comes to reheating, I won’t get into much details here, as I have a more thorough and in-depth article that deals with that process. If you are interested in how to properly reheat thawed out scrambled eggs, you can give it a read.