So, the big question is, is it possible to freeze pita bread and if so, what is the best way to do it?
In this short guide, we answer the above question, as well as other burning queries people have when it comes to storage of this popular Mediterranean food, so let’s get to it.
Can You Freeze Pita Bread? Should it be Done?
Yes, you absolutely can freeze pita bread and you will find that people do this all the time.
If you made a big batch of homemade pita bread and you are unable to finish it all or you purchased bag of store bought ones and you don’t want to get stale or to throw it away, then freezing is a really good for storage option.
In fact, a lot of people will store pita bread in the freezer for a couple of months, until they are ready to use it. It holds up really well and the taste and texture doesn’t change drastically.
The freezer is a good option to use as storage, once they are packaged properly.
Related: How to Freeze Hummus
How Long Does Pita Bread Last in the Freezer?
Pita bread that is packaged and stored properly will have a shelf life of around 5 to 7 days, when kept at normal room temperature.
When it comes to the freezer, according to stilltasty.com, Frozen pita bread can last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Best Way to Freeze Pita Bread
If you go to the grocery store, you will see pita bread in the frozen section. This is an excellent storage option as mentioned above.
If the grocery store can freeze these packages, you can do the same.
- you should have your pita bread in its original packaging, but if not are you have homemade one sitting around, you can place it in a freezer safe bag.
- The give it extra protection against freezer burn, you can wrap the bag that it came in or the freezer bag with aluminum foil.
- It is not necessary, but to be absolutely sure that the bread doesn’t absorb the different scents in the freezer, it is a good idea to place the wrapped bad in a freezer safe container.
- Label the bag or the container, so that you can get an idea as to how long it has been sitting there. Remember, frozen pita bread can last up to three months or longer in the freezer.
- Once you are ready to use, you can lead to defrost and warm them up when needed.
Defrosting your frozen pita bread is quite simple and you really don’t need to do much. All you have to do is take it from the freezer and just let it sit on the countertop at room temperature until it is fully thawed out.
Once thawed, you can go about reheating your pita bread (click for in-depth article) using the microwave, oven, skillet or open flame.
Taste wise, the pita bread might be a bit dry after being in the freezer for so long, this this is why it is a good idea to use it in about three months. The longer it is in the freezer; is the dryer it will become.
Related: How to Reheat Bread
Wrapping it up
Freezing pita bread is quite easy and if you are looking to store your homemade or store-bought batch of pita bread, then putting it in the freezer is really the best option around.
The good thing is you will always have some on hand and you will be able to use it when needs be.